Don’t think you need Flood Insurance?
Flood insurance is one of those things that’s commonly overlooked. On one hand, people that live in a designated flood zone area sometimes don’t even know it. Then when something occurs that causes a flood in your dwelling and you go to file a claim under your homeowners insurance policy you realize you need additional flood insurance coverage in order to be covered.
The other issue is that people that don’t live in a high risk flood insurance zone area tend to feel they don’t need flood insurance because they are less at risk of a flood. This can be problematic for you in the event you experience flooding in your home perhaps due to extreme heavy rain. Once again you regular homeowners insurance policy may not cover such an event.
Typically coverage includes home repair and the contents of your home. Depending on the type of flood insurance policy you procure, you may have a pre-determined amount to cover damage. In the event your expenses exceed this amount you would then have to cover the balance out of pocket.
Coverage for flood is NOT included on a homeowners or commercial property policy. We can write a separate policy through the National Flood Insurance Program.
Important Facts about Flood Insurance:
- 90% of all natural disasters involve flooding.
- Everyone lives in a potential flood zone.
- 25% of all flood claims are at properties in low risk areas.
- The average cost of flood coverage is $300 for $100,000 limit.
- In comparison, a $50,000 Federal Disaster Loan can cost $300 a month for 20 years!
- There is a 30-day waiting period for flood coverage to be effective.
- Coverage for buildings and contents must be purchased separately.
Contents in basements are not covered, even with flood insurance.
State Insurance Agency is committed to providing excellent service, educating our customers and being a single point of contact for all your insurance needs. If you are interested in STATE flood insurance fill out the form to the right and one of our helpful customer service agents would be glad to assist you.